Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'd think twice about that used Corolla. Based on what you learned at Enterprise, the one on the dealer lot is not one of the better used Corollas but was auctioned off elsewhere. There's also the risk that one or more previous renters abused the car by gunning the engine too many times.

Another red flag: It's being sold by a Pontiac dealer. How well can the Pontiac mechanics inspect a Toyota? Why didn't the Corolla end up at a Toyota dealer instead of a Pontiac dealer given that the Toyota dealer would know the car better and have an easier time selling it? I smell a rat. For all you know, this particular Corolla was a lemon or has a strange intermittent problem. If this car were a non-rental vehicle, you'd wonder if the previous owner was that one unlucky soul who got a lemon and said, "I'm not buying Toyota again! It's back to GM for me!"

Most importantly, the savings on the used Corolla aren't that great. If you opt for the base Corolla CE, then the gap between the price of the new Corolla and the price of the used one would be smaller. You're not being compensated enough for the risk that the car is a lemon or the risk that it has a strange intermittent problem that eluded the inspectors.

Personally, I think nearly new cars are overrated. They give you the worst of both worlds - "Caveat Emptor" still applies as is the case with all used cars, but you have to pay almost as much for a nearly new car as you would for a brand new car. (And if the base model suits you, then the savings of buying used will be even less.) If you want the reliability of a new car, then buy a new car. If you want to save money on the purchase, then buy an older used car (or Big 2.5 brand, though there aren't many to choose from if you take Consumer Reports seriously) that actually offers substantial savings.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.