Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
(cross post from PA)

I just finished a course in wireless networking. The technology makes it possible to attach cheap RFI tags to items and then track them using wireless networks. It is currently widely used by hospitals to track expensive equipment and by shippers to track packages.

It occurred to me, if it were required that all guns have a special RFI tag attached, places like schools or shopping malls could easily detect when guns are brought on the premises. There could also be detectors installed in police cars so that the police could detect a weapon when stopping a vehicle. I am sure that there would be a way to attach the tags using a tamper proof method, or at least make them very difficult to thwart. I am sure it would be possible to retrofit existing legal guns with tags. There would need to be a severe penalty for possessing non-tagged firearms.

Using such detection a school could even detect the presence of a firearm before it even enters the building. the school could then sound the alarm and lock down while notifying police for a faster response.

This idea would not infringe on a person's right to keep a gun for hunting or self defense. Law abiding gun owners would not be affected. Of course I can just hear the NRA and the gun nuts shrieking with fury that this idea infringes on their god-given right to execute a sneak attack against unarmed children.

Would this idea stop all violence? No. Would it reduce some instances violence? Yes. Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.