No. of Recommendations: 9
i was watching something on CSPAN today related to literacy, which got me thinking about this project a little....

we started out talking about doing a "literacy"-related project this year, then quickly turned to the other needs that seem to plague economically disadvantaged school systems...which, please don't get me wrong, i'm all for. i'm not sure we would accomplish a whole lot by merely boosting the number of books in a school library somewhere; because who's to say that would have any effect on that school's desire to read them, right? i think this whole "goody-bag" for each student is a great idea. it feels more personal too, if we do reach our goal and are able to give one to each student.

however...we do seem to be lacking focus. or maybe changing focus? i don't mean that as a criticism, just an observation. i guess this thought came to me while i was watching this bookfair/convention thing on CSPAN. i also had an idea: to tie this all back to literacy more directly, *and* (more importantly) to try to make this project more personal for both the elves and the children...could we suggest that all elves [who are interested and able] send, along with whatever other contribution they had in mind, a favorite book appropriate to the age range we're dealing with, perhaps with a handwritten "merry christmas" note written inside? if enough books are sent, we could include one in each bag.

personally, i don't see any reason the books would have to be brand new*, as long as they are in good condition. i have some favorites that i've kept since childhood, and i think i'm going to pick one or two and mail them to jeff, along with the gift certificate i was going to send anyway.

just a thought,
scolly

*not to discourage anyone who would like to send new books!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.