Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Schwab problems still not fixed for me at least. This is after finally getting a Q techie at 9:00 pm a little over a week ago who took control of my computer, spent 1-1/2 hours trying to fix (nice guy) and then the connection just disappeared. I really don't need the sophistication of Q Premium and Business. Have 1 rental property, and brokerage investment and bank accounts. Appreciate any ideas! jackie
Print the post Back To Top
Actually I have Quicken Premier.
I am reasonably certain the problems are at Schwab, not with Quicken. I have tried various Quicken alternatives over since I started using Quicken in 1986 - every one was inferior.

It happens I am moving to a Financial Advisor whose preference is placing my holdings at Schwab, but Fidelity is an option. We have spoken about this issue.

My feeling is this will eventually work itself out - but eventually will be a period of months. I understand Schwab is keenly aware of this problem - I have no information on how much effort they can or are directing at the problem. My guess is the root cause of this go to merging/adding computer systems not written by Schwab to the Schwab system - an obvious candidate TD Ameritrade.

If you don't want to wait it out, your options are manually data entry or moving to another brokerage - Fidelity would by my suggestion. My guess is you don't have a big enough account that Schwab gives a flip - Schwab has 14.5 million active accounts that hold over 4.5 trillion dollars. But if you are in the top 1%, I expect a phone call might get some attention.
That said--Mac or Windows?
My Schwab connections have been working for a few weeks now. Seems like everything has finally been all worked out. It was really frustrating for a while, but everything seems to be resolved. We are managing 6 different accounts via 2 different logins at Schwab in Quicken.

This is with Quicken Premier on Windows.

So I wouldn't be kicking Quicken to the curb yet over this, since it does all appear to have been worked out. Depends on what specific problems you're having at this point perhaps.

Mark
RYR Home Fool
Nobody has really answered the original question: Is there a good replacement for Quicken?

I have never moved to the 'ransomware' version and am still using Deluxe 2017. I have no intention of paying ransom. I do my stuff manually and it is no big deal.

However, I suspect at some point there will be an end to this. Every now and then I get an actual update and one day it will probably break my version.

So, is there an alternative to Quicken?

JimA
No. of Recommendations: 9
Nobody has really answered the original question: Is there a good replacement for Quicken?

No, there isn't.
I've tried a couple other programs and they can't hold a candle to Quicken.

As to your remarks of ransomeware, I say get over it. There are a lot of free software programs out there and you often get what you pay for. No, I don't like paying an annual subscription for Quicken. But they are the best alternative and they know it. They are also in business and need to be compensated.

I prefer to think of my subscription as a service. I pay to access and use there product. And I expect them to keep it up to date and provide support when problems arise.

JMO,
Kurt
No. of Recommendations: 1
"As to your remarks of ransomeware, I say get over it."

I was quite happy purchasing a new version every three or so years.

I don't intend to lease software.

I'll just have to see which expires first; my software or me. <G>

JimA
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi TMFTaurean,

I have been using Q for quite a while. It was instrumental in getting our retirement plan finalized to the point that I understood all the touch points and I had complete confidence in our positioning.

But over the past few years it has been reduced to just managing our checkbook, savings and credit card balances and reconciliation.

All our portfolio functions are managed in programs I wrote on my Linux box. I added a retirement tracking module. I made a financial program that has assets in it and I already added some banking like our 2 savings accounts to it. I am working on a credit card module to handle reconciliations. When I finish that and it works for 6 months to a year, I can clone it for checking.

If that goes Ok, I will be done with Q and will have just one program on windows, ThumbsPlus, that I use for photos.

I have never used Q to download transactions. I have always manually entered everything from paper. This allowed me to uncover a number of over-charges that would not be noticed if I relied on the data from the bank.

Even that has been replaced by having a text sent for every transaction over my limit of $0, so recently I was able to go right back in a restaurant from the parking lot and ask why I was charged $10 extra. They added a tip. So I walked the waiter over to our table, picked up the $15 laying there and told him, "Thank-you."

Gene
All holdings and some statistics on my Fool profile page
http://my.fool.com/profile/gdett2/info.aspx
No. of Recommendations: 6
For the amount of value and peace of mind I get from all the Quicken does to help manage and track every aspect of my finances, a $70 or so annual fee is worth it several times over for me. Since they've moved to the subscription model, it's been encouraging to see the steady stream of updates with improvements and fixes that were so lacking in the days before that, and when Quicken was still owned by Intuit.

Mark
RYR Home Fool
So, those of you who have converted over to the subscription model of Quicken, are you concerned about safety of your financial data? It's stored in the "cloud" somewhere isn't it? And it's not on your own computer, right?

This is the main reason I'm still using Quicken 2017. My data is on my computer only (and on my thumb drive backup).
Hey folks,

I'd say there is no Quicken alternative. I've tried them all as well, and have stuck with Quicken for the functionality and ease of use after using it for the past 20 years or so.

And remember, just because Quicken reminds you to purchase the annual subscription directly from them (at NO discounted price) does not mean that you can't shop around for the best price on your level of Quicken and purchase it elsewhere. All you do is add your new license number to your subscription and it extends for another 12 months.

I purchased Quicken Premier for a discounted price at Amazon and applied the software key to my subscription and it worked flawlessly. So just because Quicken is suggesting that you renew at $X, you may be able to purchase for less. Just be careful that it is not a version of Quicken that is different from that which you already have, and make sure that the "offer" is not one that is for NEW subscribers only, cause then you will be forced to create a new Quicken ID and that gets really messy.

Best ~
'38Packard
No. of Recommendations: 6
DoLoop,

No your data is not stored in the cloud - although you have an option to turn that feature on. Your data is still stored on your local drive (make sure you take backups!!).

Quicken is NOT a SAAS model. It is a more of an "automatic upgrade" subscription model. They have been great at issuing upgrades about monthly. The product has been getting better over the years for sure.

So please do not think that Quicken is a "SAAS only" model. Your data is where you want it to be. On your local hard drive, and in the cloud if you want it to be.

Cheers!
'38Packard
Thanks, '38Packard.

I didn't know there would be a choice.

My Deluxe 2017 does everything I want it to do. I guess I'll just stick with it as long as it keeps working. Upgrade only when I'm forced to for some reason.
It's stored in the "cloud" somewhere isn't it?

My Quicken data is stored on my hard drive.
DoLoop,

No your data is not stored in the cloud - although you have an option to turn that feature on. Your data is still stored on your local drive (make sure you take backups!!).

The real answer depends on how you define "cloud" and what features of Quicken you use? If data is stored on a third-party server that I have no direct access to and no control over, I consider it to be stored in the cloud. If you use a web browser to download your transactions from a financial institution and then import the transactions into Quicken, you avoid having data stored in the cloud unless you also use Quicken Mobile.

If you use Quicken to download transactions from bank and credit unions, that data will be, generally, stored in the cloud unless the bank or credit union implements what Quicken calls the Direct Connect access method. Direct Connect is primarily used by brokerage firms.

If you use Quicken's Bill Pay features, you will definitely have data stored in the cloud based on my definition of a cloud.

NOTE: All transactions collected by Quicken servers are transferred to and stored on your system running the Quicken application. This is the way Quicken has worked for the last 30+ years.
My Deluxe 2017 does everything I want it to do. I guess I'll just stick with it as long as it keeps working. Upgrade only when I'm forced to for some reason.

I'm with you except I'm using Quicken Premier 2011.

George
If you use Quicken to download transactions from bank and credit unions, that data will be, generally, stored in the cloud unless the bank or credit union implements what Quicken calls the Direct Connect access method. Direct Connect is primarily used by brokerage firms.

The way most people will read this statement, it is false. At best it is misleading.

When I Click the "Up Date Accounts" function in Quicken, Quicken copies my login and password for my credit card, sends it to the financial institution and waits for a limited amount of time to get any data the institution has. If data is supplied, that data is sent to my computer. If you think Quicken is keeping my transaction data you are wrong. Indeed Quicken will have closing prices on my securities and it does store those - it stores all the Vanguard funds, not just the funds I own. And it does dig that data out and give it to me.
No. of Recommendations: 13
I agree with GWPotter's statement.

This is not truly correct as written. Many banks use DirectConnect or ExpressWebConnect to get transactions to you. Quicken DOES NOT see these details. It is encrypted between you and your Financial Institution (FI). It has been this way since the beginning of online banking. Your passwords are stored locally in your Quicken File by a password and are sent by 256bit encryption directly to the FI.

When I led Quicken support when it was part of the Intuit company, I would take many an escalation on this very topic. Even to the point where 3 letter government agencies would call us asking to get the data we had as part of an investigation. We never had any of your data... just our servers connecting to the bank servers and back.

Former Intuit employee 1994-2008
Former Quicken Support Leader 2007-2008

HereIGo
For what it's worth, I also had ongoing issues with my Schwab integration and nearly punted on Quicken, but they (Quicken support) were able to figure out the issue.

For me, at least, the solution was to deactivate and reactivate the online services associated with each Schwab account; and that did the trick.

Also note that you need to be on the latest version of the software and you should be connecting to Schwab with a client ID that has full access to the account - and that your Schwab account is set up to allow 3rd party access...

-LB