Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I was called by a company yesterday to verify that I had requested wireless service with them. I had not applied for their service. They very politely told me I had been a victim of identity theft. Someone has my information such as my address, phone number and social security number. They gave me three telephone numbers of companies to call and give the information to and request that a consumer fraud statement be put on my credit report. I have called these companies and will follow up with a credit report again in a few months to make sure someone isn't filing against my credit. Is there anyone else I should notify or anything else I can do?
When I ask the person that informed me of the theft how it could happen he gave me several scenerios. One of which fits what I've done recently. I gave my social security at my doctor's office and to a hospital as I have a surgery coming up very soon. I'm not sure I had a choice there. I try very hard to be diligent with all my paper work. I shred, I don't give out my social security to anyone, except the doctor's office, etc. I'm not saying that's how my info got out, but it looks suspicious. I will call the doctor's office.
I have made a folder with all this info documented. Is there anything else I should do? Do I need to call the Social Security agency?
I've called the two credit card companies we use. Nothing there. I didn't lose any credit cards, just my identity!
Help! Be careful everyone.
Print the post Back To Top
I don't give out my social security to anyone, except the doctor's office, etc. I'm not saying that's how my info got out, but it looks suspicious. I will call the doctor's office.
I have made a folder with all this info documented. Is there anything else I should do? Do I need to call the Social Security agency?

Sorry about what happened to you.

I used www.dogpile.com to search for "identity theft" and found several good matches, including www.aarp.org/confacts/money/identity.html -- which has several good links.

Good luck -- hope no serious damage has been done!
Phooley in Phoenix
Identity theft is, and should be, a concern for all, especially older persons in this day and time.

Having said that, your social security number probably is the one most important item for the thief to have access to. The problem I see here is, this number is prominatly displayed on every seniors medicare card. This card must be presented to all health care facilities and therefore must be accessible to hundreds, if not thousands of individuals through out the system.

Seems to me, there is very little chance of protecting your identity if you are on medicare.

I guess the only protection is to watch closely for evidence that your identity is being used by someone other than yourself.

Saml.