Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Add on this: April 1st is coming up and that's traditionally Fool's Day at TMF. I want to make it The Jester's Day and, to do this, I am going to need help from you all.

Well, we better think up something quick 'cause on all of my boards I started to sign my name:

Kim - Jester (Do you know what's coming in April?)

and now I'm getting questioned...

Kim - Jester (Will someone help me figure out what's coming in April?)

Print the post Back To Top
I'm with you Kim. I'm going to start using "Beware the Ides of April" on mine... if I can remember.

How many obnoxiously Foolish things can we do in April? I have two ideas...
1) I say we spend the entire month throwing off TMF's rec ratio reasoning: In order to make the rec-to-post ratio mean anything, we decided to limit the number of recommendations someone can make in any given calendar day. Each day, we pick a different person to use all 30 of our recs on. If there's 30 of us posting on this board, we can guarantee that 30 people will get 900 recs in one day during the month of April.

2) We each send a postcard to TMF headquarters every day during the month of April asking them to take off the rec limits...and we ask our pals on other boards to do the same.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Melissa--Jester: Beware the Ides of April
No. of Recommendations: 6
How many obnoxiously Foolish things can we do in April? I have two ideas...
1) I say we spend the entire month throwing off TMF's rec ratio reasoning: In order to make the rec-to-post ratio mean anything, we decided to limit the number of recommendations someone can make in any given calendar day. Each day, we pick a different person to use all 30 of our recs on. If there's 30 of us posting on this board, we can guarantee that 30 people will get 900 recs in one day during the month of April.
===*===

Here is a furthering of your idea. On April 1st an elected Jester (Raggmopp seems a good choice for his frequent contributions and probable lack of gainful employment) posts BEWARE THE IDES OF APRIL on the first 30 stock boards. (A.C.L.N. Limited – Adolph Coors Company) Everyone else recs each of these posts so that the Best Of board is filled with our message.

knight427 - Jester:BIA
No. of Recommendations: 3
Each day, we pick a different person to use all 30 of our recs on. If there's 30 of us posting on this board, we can guarantee that 30 people will get 900 recs in one day during the month of April.

Everyone else recs each of these posts so that the Best Of board is filled with our message.

Wonderful ideas.

You'll get to see how effective they were if your suspension ever gets lifted.

Klash

You may not be aware but mort2000 actively pushed a similar gaming of the recs and got suspended. As I understand it he complained too vigorously and got a complimentary lifetime ban.

Randall
No. of Recommendations: 3
Everyone else recs each of these posts so that the Best Of board is filled with our message.
===*===

Well, we could ask one of the permanently banned how well the trial run of that was in pointing out the flaws of the current system.

===*===

Exactly. Me, I'm of the Capt. Kirk school, i.e. change the rules to fit your capabilities. Ergo: a low r/p ratio is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. I mean if you got 'em [humorous posts, challenges etc], flaunt 'em [post 'em here and often]. We don't need no steenking hoity toity overinflated rec/post ratio, at TJB YOU'RE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR LAST POST. Let fly, me hearty Jesters and damned be he who cries "Hold, enough". WOOT!

Name still withheld by request.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Attention please, a public service announcement! I am vehemently against WALLPAPERING to achieve a desireable low rec/post ratio. Most of the folks here have already demonstrated an ability to post maniacally w/o wallpapering so I say play to your strengths. If you get posts pulled for wallpapering tuff, go complain to the Chaplain.

Raggmopp
<18 basis points below "sea level">
No. of Recommendations: 1
Each day, we pick a different person to use all 30 of our recs on. If there's 30 of us posting on this board, we can guarantee that 30 people will get 900 recs in one day during the month of April.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Wonderful ideas.
Klash

What? Has TMF started suspensions for giving recs now?

TMF already controls how many recs I give out. But when they start telling me who and I can and can't rec, I'm out of here. Next they'll be telling me what stocks I can't and can't buy and what thoughts I can and can't think.

Melissa--Jester: Beware the Ides of April
You may not be aware but mort2000 actively pushed a similar gaming of the recs and got suspended. As I understand it he complained too vigorously and got a complimentary lifetime ban.

I had no idea.
They do tell us who and how we can rec as well as how many recs we can give. This place is more militant than military school.

Melissa

Here is a furthering of your idea. On April 1st an elected Jester (Raggmopp seems a good choice for his frequent contributions and probable lack of gainful employment) posts BEWARE THE IDES OF APRIL on the first 30 stock boards. (A.C.L.N. Limited – Adolph Coors Company) Everyone else recs each of these posts so that the Best Of board is filled with our message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I LOVE that idea!

OK...you have a point. It could be considered wallpapering...

What if we try this:

Create a blanket statement regarding us and our new board.

Every day EACH person posts this on a different board.