Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi Fools,

(If I bore you..please atleast read the questions at the end. I will greatly appreciate the help!)

Well I finished the book Saturday at the firehouse. I enjoyed it. I took with me a hard copy of Select Comfort's 2004's annual report. Picked at random, it was on top of my stack from doing a SCSS Tom G. type thumbnail and I needed a hard copy in case I couldn't get "pc" time at work.

I barely got to scratch the surface working the 3 income statements Saturday night there and wound-up spending half the day Sunday at home trying to replicate what the book taught. Anyhow, I feel I pretty much plowed right through the steps. It took a good amount of time but I went slow, used old fashion pencil and paper, took notes, and made sure I understood what I was doing as I moved on. I found the task to be less difficult "hands-on" than I feared it to be after reading the material. I also made some use of the past 800 posts on this board when I was unsure a bit. I have to admit, after feeling kinda smart completing this first go around...reading some of the posts by Hewitt, Jim, Ears, Kitty, Mike(Mklein9), and Daniel(FW) I was once again humbled and grew a migrane.....hehehehe. So I figured I would just post and stop reading a while....

I came up with Accrual profits of .80, Defensive of .56, and Enterprising of .68 for last year (2004) SCSS for what its worth. I also used 2003 numbers to get the 2-yr ave.'s needed. Maybe someone can check those numbers before I go any farther? Here are a few more questions I hope you guys can help me with:

#1. What do you guys do with negative working capital? This was asked at the onset of this board's creation but never really answered. I have SCSS with
(32621) for 2004 and (26114) for 2003 for a (6507) that I ADDED back to the defensive P&L opposed to being subtracted in the book. Is this ok?

#2. Did we find an easy way to calc CoE? (I used that free-web and rounded to 9%) I know this has been beaten to death on this MB. What a b&*ch....

#3. I treated R&D same as AD and used 3 years depr. for each. Is it better to use higher numbers for R&D and am I correct in treating it through the same steps as AD?

#4. Do we do anything with Goodwill other than run it through the ratio in the 5-min test? I didn't incorporate it in my defensive P&L. I read a post by Hewitt that confused me but I don't think the book says to plug it into anything other than the test ratio.

#5. Had no problems doing the Operating lease portion but....where do you come up with the discount rate (I used 8% like the book but there was no reason to it)? Then I reused that 8% to get the Interest tax benefit (like in the book)?

#6. Is Daniel's Excel template early on this MB the best one going? Looks awesome....

Like I said, I had no real problems getting the info and plugging it in....just not real sure of some of the issues I listed. I have a B.S. degree with the Accounting specialty but confess to have only worked in that field for 18 months part-time (hey, atleast I recouped my tuition with that CPA firm)and haven't practiced it at all for 4-5 years. You can forget a lot in that amount of time when you don't use it. Certainly rusty. This book is probably a bit tougher than Hewitt thinks it is on those without any prior accounting knowledge. Still would be a great read for anyone!

I really would like to improve my skills.

Thanks guys,

mpfd
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.