Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If a student made $3,500 in 2001 as a grapic designer and had to file as a business but in 2002 only maede 1,500 , does he have to file ?.He took depreciation for his equipment in 2001, and owed no taxes

Based on the limited information provided here, he has to file. Although there may be no income tax due, if his net self-employment earnings were 1500, he would owe self employment tax.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.