Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If all goes according to plan, you will be a filing as a
Single taxpayer for tax year 1999. You should figure
your "tax liability" ahead of time. Like right now!
To avoid any tax penalty, you want with-holding to
be 90% of your 1999 "tax liability" or 100%. of your
1998 "tax". (this is called Safe Harbor) Since you filed jointly for tax year 1998, you could use one-half of the "joint" tax liability for last year to figure your 1999 safe harbor amount. (This part is where I'm looking for some "confirmation" from others - it
can get complex due to the divorce.) The divorce
causes tax concerns when there are dependents, alimony, support-agreements, ( not child support) or health/life insurance policies that you have to pay, for her, over specified years. Many of these can be deductible items.
Good Luck.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.