Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
If all your FA is doing is using some general formula for your investments, which could actually be exactly what his firm typically recommends,...

Our FA works at a large firm, but he got there through one or two acquisitions. Interestingly, the previous FA that we had used was at this current firm, and I see a world of difference. The old FA just followed the firm's general advice, and crammed us into one of their models. I didn't see where he added any value since he didn't seem to be using his own thinking and models. The new guy, who we have used for a few years now, has his own spreadsheets and models, and sort of has his own clients as a separate business from the rest of the firm. I find that the biggest difference, and I think that is the sort of thing you are seeking.

Yes, I do think he follows the prescription the company sets out for him, even though in theory this is also a separate business from the firm. I just wish we could find someone who puts in at least as much thought into our plan as I do, particularly because you just don't know what you don't know. I suspect there is a ton I just don't know!

But he has gotten decent returns net of fee, is pretty easy to get along with, has come to realize I usually (but not always,) am worth listening to, being very helpful in getting DH to accept and understand my plans or point out the error of my thought process before I bring it to DH for consideration. DH was raised to follow authority, and that alphabet soup after his name gives our FA that authority. Me, I was raised to challenge it. Talk about a cultural differences, even though we are both third generation American!

IP
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.