Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
If amended returns are to be filed for 2000-2002, then all 3 years of TurboTax are needed.

This isn't correct. Any year's program can prepare a 1040X for that year or earlier years. As I posted before, the process can be tricky if you don't have the original return in a TurboTax data file. You should be certain you understand the process of preparing an amended return well enough to know whether the program is preparing it correctly or not.

It's not often that I disagree with Ira, but there's no way I'd try to do an amended 2001 return through any program other than a 2001 program, regardless of the fact that it can be done.

Every program I've ever used handles amended returns the same way:

1. Create a correct return.
2. Open the 1040-X and input the numbers from the original return.

Without the program for the year being amended, all entries and calculations other than addition and subraction would have to be manual, in which case I think it's easier to just get the blank form and do it.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.