Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If an salary engineer works (say getting $50/hr for 8 hrs each day) for a public company employer on a government funded program which pays the engineer's employer ($100 / hr for 10 hrs each day), is the employer obligated to pay the salary employee for 10 hours ? (I would think so as 10 hrs is hourly and daily basis what the government granted the contract under ). Bottom line - must the employee get paid (by law) for 10 hrs if they work for 10 hrs and the employer is paid for 10 hr by the government ?

The short answer is no.

I thought that there was a law to prevent employers from mis-presenting the cost of government based programs and shorting the employee ? I am sure there is a law protecting hourly employees, but unsure about salary level employees.

Another short answer is that the employer is not misrepresenting the cost of the program. Regardless of how/what the employee is paid, the employer tracks and reports the hours worked on that program.

Does the law protecting hourly workers, protect salary employees ?

FLSA would be the first place to look. However, the law has different standards for hourly vs salaried, exempt vs non-exempt, etc.

I sometimes work with engineers from well known defense contractors and they all get some compensation for the extra hours required for field testing / construction / etc..

I am sure that government engineers get "comp-time" for extra time put in.

Is anyone here familiar with the laws governing pay to professionals for over 40 hrs work on government funded programs ?

Thanks.

Long story short, for salaried professionals, whether or not you get comp time or OT is largely up to your employer and they are not running afoul of the law by doing so.

-Steph
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.