No. of Recommendations: 2
If drivers can’t afford the car insurance. They definitely cannot afford the penalty for driving without insurance. They will just continue playing Russian roulette til they are caught again & again til they are placed into jail.

Michigan insurance companies care not one whit whether the people who refuse to pay their rates for insurance are able to pay the fines for driving without, or not.

Keeping in mind that anyone who leases or finances their car is required by the finance or leasing company to carry broad collision and comprehensive coverage, these are recent average rates in Michigan.

...average annual auto premium in Michigan is about $2600, which is nearly twice the national average.

motorists in Detroit pay $5,414, on average.

http://michiganradio.org/post/report-michigan-has-highest-au...

There are probably people in Detroit who financed an old car from a "buy here, pay here" sort of dealer, that pay more per year for insurance than the car is worth.

Fortunately, I pay cash for my ride, so I can cut down on the insurance. With "limited" collision, which only pays if an accident is not my fault, comprehensive with a $1,000 deductible, driving a non-sporty VW station wagon, with my senior citizen discount and a discount for having used Progressive's "snapshot" monitor to prove I don't do hole shots or make short stops and only drive 350 miles/month (in the winter when there is no place to go because everything is frozen) and living in a nice suburb 20 miles from Detroit, and a spotless driving record (no moving violations, ever, and not even a comprehensive claim for damage from flying debris in 10 years) I got my insurance down to "only" $732/yr.

Steve
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.