Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
A retired friend of mine wrote this. May I have your opinions? It occurs to me that if they drop the estate tax and the exemptions that go with it, the govt. may end up with more income than it currently gets under estate taxes. In 1997 43000 people out of 2,700,000 adult deaths were effected by the estate tax. But if the estate tax is dropped then capital gains taxes will effect possibly all 2.7 million people. I assume that the family home will continue to have the exemption it now has so that won't get into capital gains but I think a lot of people own securities within that exemption of $675,000 that would be subject to tax. If each one of these people had $100,000 in cap. gains the govt would get $20,000 times 2.7million people or an additional $54 Billion in income that they don't get now. This would go a long way in offsetting the reduced taxes for estates over the $675000.

I also wondered how you would treat an IRA or other retirement funds because most people do not have a record of their costs. I'm assuming the retirement funds are a separate entity and while they are in that state do not belong to the recipient until a distribution is taken. So I assume the value would be the after income tax value after a distribution.
I was thinking how is the guy who owns a small business or a farm going to figure out a cost basis for his business. The Cap gains tax could be worse than the estate taxes.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.