No. of Recommendations: 0
If he rolls over to Vanguard, he can get a Vanguard brokerage account within his IRA, which means he can get CDs, Treasuries, etc., instead of a bond fund. It really isn't any harder to do a ladder, and a lot safer during low interest rate periods. If he really can't handle anything as "difficult" as a ladder and must have a fund, go with the Intermediate Index bond fund instead of the Total Bond fund, for reasons that have been discussed here, and on the index fund board, before (and John Bogle agrees).

Ok, there are a couple things here, so I'm going to step through them:

1) So you are saying CD's and Treasuries are better than a bond fund now because of interest rate risk? I can get that...

2) How would you structure them before / after withdrawal phases? ie, just set up a 5yr CD ladder and just buy a new 5yr every year?

3) I know you are 100% bonds, so I won't even ask what % bonds you suggest. :-)

4) Can he handle anything as "difficult" as a ladder? -- Left to himself, no. He can't/won't. Now, I would be happy to do the research and call him once per year. I enjoy finance stuff. BUT, I'm really not sure that it would be a realistic arrangement.

5) So, if a ladder doesn't make sense, then are you suggesting he buy VBIIX, not VBMFX?

Thank you for the clarifications...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.