Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 9
if I am going to share my "riches", it will be with my family and charities of my choice

Sharing my "riches" with my family is my primary goal in life. We have 6 1/2 grandchildren whose lives and futures we want to enhance. Leaving our money to them is the least of what I want to provide. I hope with all my heart that they'll have the same benefits in life that I've had, which allowed us to retire in relative comfort and security.

I hope that Social Security will still be there for them - it's only part of my income, but it certainly improves my circumstances. I hope that Medicare still exists for them - in the past couple of years I've had two knees replaced, at a total cost of (gasp) about $66,000 EACH, and boy, if we hadn't all paid into the system for all those years I'd probably be in a wheelchair now. I hope that they have clean air to breath - I look at the smog in China's cities and I'm grateful that I have a government that regulates factory and auto emissions. I hope that there's still clean water for them to drink in the future, and I know that without strong government intervention, that won't be possible. I want them to have good and safe roads, bridges, schools, and all the rest of the infrastructure that isn't going to just maintain itself.

Yes, I feel that hard work and careful spending should allow those people who put in the effort, to afford a better retirement and lifestyle than those who coast along contributing nothing, but the divergence between the richer and poorer amongst us has increased, and continues to increase, to a degree that I feel is immoral. Did the Bush administration's tax cuts cause this? Not entirely, of course, but it sure did contribute.

I don't mind the taxes I pay - I'd gladly pay more, if we all, including ME, benefit from them.

Trini
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.