Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
If I continue to get $9,000/yr in FICA earning for the next 9 years until I'm 65, I'll pay about $9,000 in FICA and my monthly Social Security benefit will increase by $45/month.

Imagine my surprise when I learned a $45/month annuity from an insurer costs $12,000 at today's rates -- $3,000 more than I'd pay in FICA taxes for the same benefit

Social Security benefits are typically computed using "average indexed monthly earnings." This average summarizes up to 35 years of a worker's indexed earnings.

You might want to check your math - If your average earnings for the 1st 26 years you worked was indexed at less than $9000, then $9000 for the last 9 years might increase your SS benefit

For me, $9000 for the last nine years prior to 65 that I work = $0 increase for me

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/Benefits.html
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.