Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Click below to continue the discussion on the new site.

Go to the New Site
No. of Recommendations: 2
If I had it to do over, I probably would not have cruised, and yet we've dealing with the dilemma of
not being able to live our lives.

Thoughts?

We have decided that we are changing our approach to travel to allow ourselves to live within the new boundaries the virus imposes on us. We are reasonably young retirees, still not eligible for Medicare, vaccinated and boosted, but have an elder pooch who of course is not. The three of us got Covid in February 2020, when DH returned from a work trip to San Francisco. Didn't hit him or me hard, since we had meds we could take, but the dog had ramifications from Covid for 18 months of hell. Vet tried to get us to put him down twice, but we could see him in there and persisted. Now that he's finally healthy again and off meds, we are reluctant to bring home the virus to him and take care to minimize exposure. An asymptomatic expression of the virus from us could kill man's best friend.

At the same time, we have tired of where we live, most specifically the climate. We feel imprisoned by the heat in summer, cold in winter, keeping us huddled at home, since there is little we can do indoors for fun, needing to wear a mask. We didn't retire early to be old and stay at home people.

We are putting our primary residence on the market around February, taking the time until then to whittle down our stuff and move what we can't get rid of to our vacation home. That house, (the one recently described as having a friendly neighbor with an AK-47,) can be left vacant for long periods of time with little consequence beyond the bugs moving in. We are going to travel the US with our dog, going from a series of 30 day plus rentals until we feel the need to settle down and find a place that we want to do that. I expect that to take years, with occasional stays back at the cabin. These rentals are smaller than our current home, but the rents are comparable to the mortgage which we will be getting rid of, and we should realize a significant amount of tax free capital gains on the sale. We are getting free storage at the cabin.

I've never been a If It's Tuesday It Must Be Belgium kind of traveler. I am super excited to go from home base to home base and spend weeks exploring the area. In an effort to make Dog's final years good, we will likely be concentrating on outdoor activities to start with. He will be 17 this year and is once again doing 3-5 mile hikes with us.

Took our first van load of belongings to the cabin yesterday. It's so exciting to put this plan into motion.

Is that enough thoughts for you?

IP,
living differently, but living well!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.