No. of Recommendations: 3
If I needed a new major appliance, or a new car, I'd consider financing. Especially, if it was no interest, like you did. At that point, it seems like it is both good for the credit score and beneficial for personal finances.

Does that type of financing show up as an "Installment Loan", or if they do it by store credit card, as "Revolving Credit"?

Something that requires a fixed monthly payment and is scheduled to be paid off in a specified time period ought to show up as an installment loan. Something that is open-ended where you pick how much to pay, subject to a minimum, ought to show up as revolving credit. The typical new car loan should show as an installment loan. The typical no interest for X months on a store card should show up as revolving credit. If it's a hybrid somewhere in the middle, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm not focused on getting a perfect FICO score. I was just sort of curious.

Curiosity is normal, and not a bad thing, however . . .

I have no statistically valid study to rely on, but in 10 years of off and on watching message boards I've noticed that the people who say they have very high FICO scores tend to be focused on what's the best thing to do for their finances, blind to what it does to the credit score. Certainly I never knew my credit score until the message boards made me curious; I only knew that if I wanted to buy a car, I could borrow more money than I wanted to borrow at the most favorable rate the lender offered.

Later, I spent some time with zero percent offers earning interest on money that wasn't mine; that stopped being worth my time when interest rates started going way low in 2008 or so. Not that I'd pass up a zero percent offer that dropped into my lap for something I was going to buy anyway; but the return isn't enough to go out of my way to create such a situation right now.

And yes, the free reports about my credit score say it's hurt by lack of a first mortgage and lack of installment loans. I really don't care. I can still borrow more money than I want to at favorable rates, if I find a situation where borrowing makes sense.

Right now, my borrowing is limited to a month of float on credit cards for current expenses. That hasn't seemed to particularly hurt my credit score, even though the mortgage and installment loans have all aged off the report.

No, the float doesn't earn me enough interest to sneeze at; but there is the cash back from the purchases making it worth my while to use the cards as long as I don't succumb to the incentive to spend more.

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.