No. of Recommendations: 6
If I put it on craigslist for free, would anybody even come get it?

General answer...lordy yes. And free to try. It's not that hard to write an ad and post good pictures to it. You might even be able to get a some bucks for it. Really.

In my neck of the woods, you would be surprised at the number of things people will come pick up for free, including the labor to get rid of the object.

I gave away several large, overgrown shrubberies on Freecycle. They dug them all up and carted them off.

I used Craigslist to give away a semi-working 30-year old electric stove (1 large burner didn't operate). Saved me from carting it off for recycling or scrap metal.

Also a broken, non-repairable front-loading washer for parts, a 26-year old fridge for $80, a couple of dishwashers for $25-$50. One of the dishwashers was a supposedly non-functional Craigslist freebie I picked up for parts. When I got it home, I found out the only thing wrong with it was a clogged hose. Duh. I cleaned it and resold it, since we came across a nice Bosch at the scratch/dent for only $200.

Sold a non-functional 1970's Kenmore sewing machine on Craigslist for $25. The woman who bought it was a Boston lawyer who wanted it just for parts to fix her own machine which she loved. Buying mine for parts was way less than the cost to repair it. She made a lengthy drive to pick it up too.

Sold some leftover boxes of new/never opened Lumber Liquidators/Bellawood 3/4" Brazilian hardwood flooring, enough to do about a 12' by 12' room. We ended up doing one less area than we originally planned & it couldn't be returned. Gave a 30% discount off retail, some links to the product online and whoosh - gone immediately to a resident in our town.

I've had good luck on Craigslist selling small circa-1940/1950 collectible small kitchen items. Excellent pictures, well-cleaned/good condition, researched background with links and writing a good ad all help.

If you are concerned about strangers in the house, once you have a legitimate pick-up offer, perhaps you can bring it up yourself if you have a porch area, or similar, where you can place it. Run an extension cord to it if you want to show it's working.

I've done it both ways - have things out of the house, or shown them in our vacant apartment rental. I even mailed out a few of the smaller vintage items USPS after the person paid for the item in advance (I accepted a check - the horror!).

I sort thru replies with my "crazy filter" on...aka common sense. If they can't follow the simple instructions I give in the listing, or their reply is iffy in any way, I just don't reply. I usually ask for them to provide a phone number for me to respond & Google their name, email addy & phone. Not infrequently I can verify they are a real person and not a figment of someone's imagination in Nigeria.

Give clear instructions - "heavy item, need 2 strong people to transport", "bring tie-downs, hand-truck", "pick-up truck or similar large vehicle", "cash only".

Write a clear description - "fully functional" "original owner's manual and remote" (print the manual from online if you don't have it), "cables included", "clean & clear picture/sound".

Throw in some marketing - "ideal for man-cave", "perfect for watching the Superbowl", "original owner"

You might not enjoy the TV as much any more, but check with retirement homes or youth activity centers in your area. They may appreciate the donation.

Goodwill, Salvation Army & St.Vincent dePaul's will often pick up this kind of thing. Give them a call and check. That's pretty painless.

Or check this in your area:
http://www.collegehunkshaulingjunk.com/

Locate recycling options in your area at:
www.1800recycling.com

If you buy a TV from BestBuy, they'll pick up & recycle your old one for free. Or for $100, they'll haul away up to two TVs (if you don't purchase anything from them):
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/null/pcmcat174900050009.c?i...

Some TV manufacturers have take-back recycling programs. Try calling them to find out.

Few more suggestions:
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-to-get-rid-of-your-old-tv...

You could also just try the ol' curbside thing with a big "FREE! WORKS GREAT! ENJOY THE SUPERBOWL!!!" sign if you are about to have several days of good weather (in case it sits a bit, but I bet it won't). Include a free "Curbside Alert" ad on Freecycle/Craigslist if you want, although some of the Freecycle chapters do frown on curbside listings. I would suspect this is a really good time to put projection TVs curbside, precisely because of Xmas/Superbowl.

I helped my MIL clean out her basement a few months back. Unbelievable what people were willing to take - even things that didn't go for free at her last yard sale.

Laura
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.