Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If I see that a company is likely to drop in price, I'm going to short it. Period. And no, that's not "un-american". That's why we have equity markets. Or would you rather we put up a comprehensive ban against Americans selling US equities? Yeah, that would be so much better. I'm sure that would really have great long term effects on the US economy.

Well, I'm not the only one talking about this. CNNfn and CNBC both mentioned "gentlemens agreements" to control shorting. A six year old in Iowa could make money shorting UAL, big deal. It's not smart.

As far as selling is concerned, that's not what I'm talking about. Now, you may not have a problem with shorting airlines, that's your call. Personally, I'd rather be able to look at myself in the mirror. I never mentioned anything as being "un-American." The opposite may in fact be true.

I'm just struggling with my new found morality in this period. And I'm not suggesting any enforcement or regulatory action. I'm just saying you may be a schmuck for shorting them. If you had a short before this happened, then thats perhaps another story.

BTW- anyone else ticked hearing the airlines crying like babies for a bailout? Maybe if we'd had a commitment to spend a decent amount of money on domestic airline security, none of this would have happened. It's not the airlines fault, it's the fault of evil fanatics, but it would have been at least a little more difficult.

Hindsight's 20/40. But what would you suggest? Let them fail? I'm pretty sure that airline travel is integral to our economy, and given the recent turn of events, the obstacles to entering the market are staggering.

I know they're getting about 8billion less than they asked for...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.