No. of Recommendations: 0
If I start a new IRA (actually a ROTH IRA) today and I fund it before April 15th with $2000 can I nominate this contribution as a 1999 contribution?

The answer is "yes", as long as you are eligible to contribute $2000 for 1999, and have not already done so.

But it's important to designate, when you apply for the IRA (i.e., open the new account), that it's intended for the year 1999 -- otherwise it will default to 2000.

BTW, you actually have until April 17 -- but don't put it off!

Hope this helps--
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.