No. of Recommendations: 2
If I understand correctly, these are all federal loans.
If you consolidate them as federal loans, and not with a private loan, you maintain the advantages of federal loans -

including the potential for:
income based repayment plans
deferment and forbearance
discharge in the death of the responsible person

I would not consolidate outside of the federal program, and would tend not to use a 0% balance transfer offer on any of them. I might be tempted to use a 1.99% for the life of the balance, but I would be leary of cash flow - does the CC company expect 2% per month, 5% per month or some other payment that would be larger than what you have to pay on the loan?

I would tend to do this - integrated with your retirement planning - run a debt snowball starting with the the highest rate loan. Since you have several loans at the higher rate, start with the smallest first. Keep your 401-K contribution to get the match, but avoid the Roth IRA, unless your wife is not getting retirement savings otherwise. When the loans are paid down or paid off, up the 401-K contribution to catch up.

Your mileage may vary.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.