Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 4
If I understand you correctly, you want to see a 1.4 to 1 ratio between the trigger day volume and the number yahoo shows for the average in the detailed quote box. So if the volume had been half the average for several days running, and then jumped up to the average, you would not consider that to meet the criterion.
(I'm not sure, but I would guess that the detailed quote ADV number is what gets plotted when you ask yahoo to show the average along with the volume on a technical chart)

You understand correctly, I want to see a 1.4 to 1 ratio on the ADV that Yahoo shows. But let me give you a specific scenario. The Yahoo ADV shows 500 k shares, but for the past week the volume has been running 250 k shares, then I might use my "intuition" and buy on a strong gain day (as long as the stock is below any significant resistance) if the volume went up to say 600K shares. It's a judgement call. But sometimes a huge volume day (say 10 times the ADV) 3 weeks ago will skew the ADV higher than it should be.

One of the things that I don't like about Yahoo is that the 3M chart seems to not include the last couple of days - I find I have to go to 5 days to get the most recent data.

An excellent point, and one I dshould have brought out earlier. Sometimes the 3 month chart show the most recent day, but oftentimes it doesn't. The you do as you suggested and go to the 5 day chart.

By the way your link worked perfectly.

It looks like you're ready to try this system for yourself. Let me give you a stock to watch (ELON).

NukeJohn

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.