Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
if i were buying a car to drive for fifteen years, i'd buy new. here's why.

you can get exactly what you want. if you're going to look at it, drive it, use it for that long, then dont compromise on anything. unless you really dont care about color, or exact options, or you have no interest in anything but automatic transmission. or unless you get very lucky.

i would skip the auction given the kinds of cars you are looking for. a chevy dealer probably cant get into the "closed" factory sales. that is where toyota and audi and honda and bmw sell their own off-lease vehicles. so that is a big chunk of where high-quality late model stuff comes from that he may not be able to access at all. or maybe he can. trying is free, right?

my choices, in order, would be

camry
accord
bmw

wouldnt consider the audi-im not as bad as duck when it comes to vw, but they scare me too.

good luck
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.