No. of Recommendations: 0
If I work abroad, make less than the US$80,000 available tax credit for U.S citizens working abroad, can I still contribute to a Roth/traditional IRA account?

Basically meaning: If I made money, didn't pay a dime to the IRS, can I still contribute to an IRA account?

My understanding is that the rules require you to have earned income, not TAXABLE earned income. As long as you receive a W-2, declare the earned income (then subtract it all for tax purposes) I would think there would be no reason you would NOT be able to have a Roth.

Other Fools here will surely weigh in here, as well.

Good Luck.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.