Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If I'm not mistaken ( just went thru this in 20219) almost every bank has an "Estates & trust" department that does this. Well, they will do the bill paying and "final out-processing, so to speak.

In my case I didn't even need a trust set up. I just named them as Executor of my Will. That covers any possible contingency after I'm gone. The only catch was a minimum estate value of $250,000. BUT my lawyer said if you go to a smaller bank they will likely have a lower limit Probably doesn't apply to us here as we're all lighting our cigars will $100 bills ha ha.

Until I'm gone, all my bills are on auto-pay so that shouldn't be a problem if I'm in a hospital. If I become incapacitated, and this is just my own person situation, it shouldn't be for long as I had a serious heart attack in 2020, so there's little chance of prolonged time in assisted living or nursing home. I won't withstand any serious physiological impositions. If I do need to be moved to some kind of facility for a spell, eventually they will find out I have money unless I die in the shorter term, in which case what the hell do I care?

My biggest fear is being sick / injured permanently and in The Big House. Ok, so I can buy my way in. But now there is a house/apartment, a car and all my stuff/personal effects that will need to be ..... I don't know? Thrown out? Do I keep paying the rent/electric/gas bills while also paying for the nursing home until I'm dead. It's that gray area /crossover zone that seems to have no person/agency to cover it. But as I said that is a pretty low probability scenario in my case.

All my doctors and every hospital in town have my State approved officially notarized Living Will on file.

The Medical Power of Attorney is likely the stickiest problem for most people. The Living Will settles some but not all of that. When was In the hospital for the heart attack they were asking me questions about "well, what if this... what if that...? that apparently weren't clear enough in the Living Will. Unless that was their in-house fire-walling as I was conscious and sentient.

Another fear is lingering but not in a hospital/under care. I'll need a Butler or Personal assistant just to keep up with things as I get more and more feeble. Again, probably not something I will need to worry too much about.

Summary:

1) Living Will
2) Bank Estate/Trust department along with your Last Will
Should cover most of it. Pending treatment decisions not addressed in Living Will are trickier.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.