Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If I'm not mistaken, the actual camera sensors are made by Sony (thus their mention of the earthquake or whatever it was in SE Asia that affected Sony's plant). Ambarella takes those sensors and puts them together with their firmware/hardware/software in a package that can be used in <insert device here>, such as the GoPro, aerial drone cameras, etc.

My Samsung Galaxy S6, for example, has a Sony sensor in it (may very well be of the same class/series as what AMBA is pulling from), and the pictures are great -- for a cell phone. Can't hold a candle to even my 4-yr old Nikon D200 DSLR with real glass, but it's good enough for capturing the "I was here" moments. The S7 is even better, by every account. Google is your friend for looking up comparisons, but real-world ones are the ones I usually lean towards, and this one was pretty well-done (double-blind): http://www.imore.com/best-smartphone-camera

Apple iPhone pics continue to trail behind others. Even the Nexus phones take better pics than an iPhone. And since they're largely all using very similar or the same physical sensors (the S7 and iPhone7 are not, by the way), the differentiating factor is often the vendor's SOFTWARE that drives the sensor and processes the images before you see them.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.