Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If in a decade News corp went from a $20 billion market cap to a $180 billion mcap that would obviously be 9 times your money. Say this were possible in the next 15 years...okay...

I don't believe it is. Both News Corp and Viacom were built in the past 15 years by acquisition, startup, and the heavy use of debt. I don't think they could grow "9 times" larger doing the same thing. They are already huge, probably unweildly conglomerates - in a land where most media companies have already consolidated to a point where any more will invite antitrust scrutiny.

I have to wonder what could they add to the stable? Satellite? Been there. TV network? Nope, got one. Cable channels? Maybe, but who is going to sell the big ones to them? Are they going to start a bunch from scratch? That's a tough putt these days. Cable systems? Maybe, but there's little advantage in being the #6 cable MSO, and #1, #2, and #3 are pretty well spoken for. Amusement parks? Already in the hands of the big guys. Billboards? Possible, I suppose. Newspapers? Nah, too sleepy.

So no, I don't think they're going to repeat that performance over the next 15 years. Anything is possible, but I don't believe the organic growth will lead to anything like that, nor is there enough "acquisition" to make it happen.

I can't compare News to Via or TW because I had too much media back in the 90's (because of my Viacom holdings - and the big run of AOL - "media" made up something like 70% of my portfolio.) I sold out my Disney and GE, the slug of RRDonnelly that I had, and a large part of my Viacom and AOL. I still have some of each, but enough that I wouldn't add "media" to the mix for those obvious personal reasons.

So for that reason I haven't even looked at News. Or any of the others. Sorry.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.