Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
If it can take advantage of up-to-the-minute information from Waze users, or other vehicles, or traffic helicopters for that matter, so much the better. But that is mostly just doing navigation better.

"Just"?

Let’s go back to the example of a detour around a construction area thrown up this morning. How is an AI car that lacks timely data input going to know this? Only way I can think of, is it reads the "Detour" sign and follows it, and hope each turn on the detour is clearly signed (they often aren’t). But after four years of intensive AI development, Tesla cars still can’t read signs. Good luck "just" getting to work and back in that situation.

I like Tesla, I own an M3. But it still doesn’t know the speed limit in my neighborhood, which has been clearly signed and unchanged for at least five years that I can recall. Count me as not impressed with the rate of AI (non-)learning.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.