Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If it isn't too much of a PITA, you might track down all of that info yourself -- figure out which companies paid you dividends, and contact them (or look at their web site) to figure out the tax treatment. Of course, there is a chance that it will be incorrectly reported on the 1099's, and never corrected, in which case you'll have to amend your returns anyway, because the IRS will want you to match the 1099's even if they're incorrect.

I woudl NEVER change my tax return to match the 1099 when the 1099 was in error. Submit a correct return and retain good notes which explain the discrepancy. If/When the IRS comes calling, give the documentation and they will go away.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.