Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
If Mr. Biden is the godsend and savior that came to us just in the nick of time, why does he sport such a deplorable disapproval rating (approaching 58%), less than twelve months into his 48 month term?

Is he being mistreated in the media? Are people judging him unfairly? Are people being unrealistic and impatient??? He's not getting the team support he needs??? What can possibly be the explanation???

I'll say 3 things:

First, declining approval in the first year or two of a presidency is normal. Biden's average "disapproval" rating is 51%. He's on a similar trajectory to Reagan, Clinton, and Obama. "W" was on a very similar path of declining approval before 9/11 happened and the country rallied behind him. And I'll point out that Trump was even less popular than Biden currently is for the vast majority of his presidency.
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/?...

Second, I saw an interview with Doris Kearns Goodwin recently. She quoted Lincoln who said something to the effect of, "first you have to get the people behind you." This is where Biden hasn't done a very good job. He's been leading with policy instead of promotion.

That said, the economy is doing great, and as AW pointed out, there have been a lot of policy victories which will probably result in continued growth in the years ahead.

If Trump were President, he'd be saying things like: It's the Trump economy--that's what they call it. No one has ever seen anything like it. They said it couldn't be done. When everything shut down, everyone said, America was done for, that it would be worse than the Great Depression. But the Trump economy, that's what they call it, the Trump economy--it is right back where it was before the China virus. We have even done better. Record jobs. Record unemployment. Record paychecks. They said it couldn't be done, but I did it.

Instead, Biden is too busy empathizing with the people who are still struggling.

Third, Biden really has been a "savior". Not in the sense that anyone expected him to solve everything or walk on water, but--at least until the next election--we don't have a president who is actively undermining our democracy, encouraging violence and hatred and kissing up to dictators. Trump was and is a threat to democracy. After January 6, everyone in America should recognize this. So, at least temporarily, Biden has "saved" democracy in the Executive Branch.

In short, I'll take calm, addled, doddering, old Joe Biden any day over Trump.

And Trump cheats at golf. It's a game of honor, and he has no honor.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.