Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
If my house is paid for I can live in it without fear of anyone taking it away from me.

Well, the local government can take it , if you don't pay your taxes. For the following comparison, lets assume this won't happen.

If my house is not paid for, but I have money in the stock market and ALL my investments lose money (the value in my house is down as well as my investments) I can still live in my house. Can I still afford my investments? Perhaps.

Now let's assume I lose my job. I can still live in my house. Can I still afford my investments?

If I have a mortgage and investments and they both decrease in value and I lose my job, do I have to worry about losing my house? Yes, I do.

It's all in the risk/reward, as stated before.

I don't like to gamble with the possibility of living on the streets, especially when the market is acting like it has lately, but I know others that aren't worried......yet.

I fully understand (and mostly agree with) your sentiment. BUT ... liquidity is a major issue in calculating the probability of surviving an adverse event as described above.

There are 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1 - House paid off -

OK, so you had a mortgage of $150k and a net worth of $300k. You decided to pay off the mortgage. Now you have no mortgage and $150k in net worth, mostly invested in stocks, BUT the Nasdaq went down 63% and your portfolio went down about 50%. Now you have a portfolio of $75k, of which $15k is liquid and can be used for expenses when you get laid off. Your minimum expenses are $3k/month, you can survive for 5 months.

Scenario 2 - Keep the mortgage -

Same mortgage of $150k, payment about $1k/month. Same net worth of $300k. Now, you would like to pay off the mortgage, but would prefer to have liquidity in case some sort of crisis comes up. So, you keep $150k in cash, perhaps in a tax-free money market fund, and the other $150k in stocks. Whoops, Nasdaq goes down 63%, your portfolio goes down 50%, down to $75k, and you get laid off. Your minimum expenses are $4k/month (same as the guy above plus the mortgage payment). You can survive for 37 months using that $150k in the tax free money market fund.

Which scenario is more conservative ? Which is safer ?
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.