Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If my husband and I have a joint checking account and electronically contribute to a 529 for our son, do we have to do anything to denote that half came from one of us and half came from the other ?

If you're in a community property state, I think you're covered. If you're in a separate property state, you might need to show that you've each put $12k into the joint account.

None of that would actually need to go with the tax return. It would just be part of your records supporting the return in case of an audit.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.