Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
If, on the other hand, you want to start trading individual stocks I'd take a chunk out of there and to another brokerage, since Vanguard's trading commissions are on the high side for a discounter.

Actually Vanguard's trading comissions for stocks are very competitive if you have a Flagship account( >$1 million in assets) - only $8 per trade, with 12 free trades per year. They are not competitive for option trading unfortunately - $30 + $1.50 or $2.50 per contract.

I have gradually (over the last 5 years) been moving all of my stock market assets to Vanguard - I have had a very good long term experience with them. I was concerned about having all my assets with one company after I read this:

http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/01/one_moment_dave.html

and here is the relevant thread on the Liquid Lounge:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25039733&sort=whole#25044313

But after talking to Vanguard, I felt that they have safeguards in place which would prevent such an occurence, and they indicated that they and their private insurance would cover against this kind of incident, as long as the client had taken reasonable precautions.

Actually the representative I spoke to couldn't believe that JP Morgan had such lax controls that they allowed this to happen.

JSergeant
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.