No. of Recommendations: 0
Because I have not held a job at a participating entity for the past 5 years (I switched to the private sector), the money I previously contributed to a state-run retirement pension is about to be refunded to me. After federal income taxes are withheld, I'll have about $13,000 to use.

Our home mortgage has a variable rate and I want to refinance to a 30 yr fixed in the near future before rates start climbing much further. So I'm trying to decide whether I would get more bang for my buck in the refinance process from having an additional $13,000 of equity in my house via applying this towards the balance on my HELOC, or whether the smarter play is to pay off a couple high interest CCs (or more accurately, pay off one and pay off a majority of a second).

The specs:

-$175,000 primary mortgage, variable rate, currently around 4%
-$33,500 HELOC at 6.5%
-$8,174 CC at 18.99%
-$8,767 CC at 15.24%
-$4,865 CC at 9.69%

So the options are:

1) Roll $13,000 into an IRA that doesn't help me with my refinance or my too-high credit card debt
2) Put $13,000 towards the HELOC, gaining equity but leaving myself with lots of high interest CC debt
3) Put all $13,000 towards the high interest CC debt, leaving myself with ~$3,900 at 15.24% and ~$4,800 at 9.69%.

Both options 2 and 3 will improve my FICO score and should help get me a lower rate on the primary mortgage. Just not sure if gaining that extra equity would make enough difference in my fixed rate to balance out all the money I'd save on the high interest CCs if I go that route.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.