Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
If someone lived in Illinois for the first 9 months of 2001, and in California for the last 3 months, where should state tax be filed? All state witholding was done in Illinois and the company the person works for is in Illinois (no California office).

Does the person only file in Illinois, only file in California, file 9 months worth in Illinois and 3 in California or what?

You file as a part-year resident of each state. I'm assuming that you had some income after your move, but if you didn't, check the CA instructions to see if you have to file anything. CA is very agressive at tax compliance, and since you'll be filing your Federal return with a CA address, I'd err on the side of satisfying any curiosity they might have.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.