Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If the 60 year old is going to convert from a Traditional to a Roth, and then withdraw from the Roth in the same tax year, then there wasn't any reason to do the conversion - they may as well have just taken the money from the Traditional and put it into their spending account.

Some states exempt some or all withdrawals from retirement accounts from state income taxes. If you live in one of those states converting from Traditional to Roth and then withdrawing from the Roth avoids state taxes.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.