Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
...if the IRS catches any underreported income etc, you will be obligated to pay the tax, interest and any penalties, but you do not need to amend...

Yep, don't bother amending unless you have new solid info and the difference will be in the thousands.

My dad failed to file for several years, and when, years later, I tried to get all that caught up, I sent his CPA all the 1099's etc I could find (or get replacements for), but I knew several were missing. "Just extrapolate," I told her.
Sure enough, her guesses were off by a few hundred dollars, and a couple of years after we filed and paid, the IRS reconciled their records with what had been submitted, and sent bills for the difference, including interest and penalties. The interest & penalties were a lot less than I'd expected. I think they max out at some percentage of the amount due.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.