Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
If there is more to the argument for Hydrogen that it doesn't put fossil CO2 into the air unless we look at the CO2 it actually does put in the air, please let me know and/or send links.

Sounds right.
Green hydrogen, created with no fossil fuel anywhere in its production process, is fine.
Similarly equivalent green methane would be fine, with the same caveat.

Random thoughts--

* I don't personally know of anybody proposing to make something like green methane, using carbon from the air, at scale.
Maybe there is a process that works well. (energy efficient and easy to scale).
There are some breathless articles on the subject, but apparently it's somewhat difficult.
Photosynthesis is quite a trick.

* I guess that if you buy green methane, the person you're buying it from could be lying about the source of the carbon.
Same with green hydrogen, of course. It's hard to think of anything more "commodity like" and fungible than a bunch of hydrogen atoms.

* Hydrogen is much harder to store than methane. But has more energy per kg. Some applications might care about that.

* Methane leaks are worse than hydrogen leaks from a global warming perspective.

I'm currently kind of a fan of ammonia, green of course, for a lot of applications. Cargo ships, in particular. Maybe aircraft.
Easy to pump, very energy dense. Some cool things you can do to crack some of it and create an ammonia/hydrogen fuel that's easy to burn.
And, if you're willing to consider fancy processes, it's easier to get nitrogen out of air than CO2---there's just so darned much of it.
But of course it takes power to do so, and it's no good if that comes from coal.
There are some gizmos you can get that have the advantage of starting and stopping rapidly, so they fit well with intermittent wind power.

Jim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.