Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
If they don't like the rules, they can stay home.

From this perspective, the Olympics have come a long way since Chariots of Fire, and their direction is not a pretty one. Instead of inviting athletes of the world, it is screening them using rules that are designed to catch everyone rather than just those who attempt to cheat.

I do think that the ruling bodies of these sports need to work a lot closer with the athletes to ensure that they don't take things by accident.

That would not have helped the 7 skiers whose suspensions were not overturned (there is zero evidence that they did anything but get high hemoglobin levels from their flights and didn't adjust to the local environs as quickly as the others), and yet their reputations are tarnished. And this would not have helped the Russian whose only crime was taking the advice of a qualified medical doctor who prescribed an over-the-counter medication that did not list the banned ingredient.

if I am an athlete, I make 100% sure that I know exactly what anything and everything I put into my body contains, and I make 100% sure that nothing I take is on the banned substance list.

Good luck with that. As I said, free range athletes. So much for competition amount the worlds best athletes. Now we have competition among the best bred athletes. In the meantime, we'll just destroy peoples repuations and lives with inference and blame for things beyond their control.

Fuskie
Who remains unconvinced that zero tolerance has improved the Olympics...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.