Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If this is a more complicated question than I'm making it, please feel free to refer me to the right government authority to get the definitive answer.

Hopefully one of the tax attorneys or CPAs will be along shortly to address the problems of tax law. In the meantime, you may want to surf over to the Commonwealth of Taxachusetts web site:

From your post, it sounds like you may have to do some i-dotting and t-crossing with business licenses. When you file your federal income tax return, the IRS will share that return with the Commonwealth revenue folks. The Commonwealth revenue folks will cross-check their records to ensure you've filed the proper forms and obtained the proper business licenses. The Commonwealth's web site will help you sort out some of those details.

You may want to think about consulting with a CPA in your area about your business. CPAs mostly focus on finance and accounting, but they can point small business owners in the right direction for staying on the right side of the law. The fees you'll pay the CPA for his or her advice is a tiny fraction of the fees and fines you'll have to pay if the local authorities decide you haven't complied with the laws, and Massachusetts has about 400 years of laws on the books.

David Jacobs
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.