Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
...IF treated as a business rather than mostly personal use with a couple of weeks rental, files a schedule C. To be treated as a business, personal use must be limited to two weeks or 10% of time rented, whichever is greater, and no deductions, including depreciation, can be made for that personal use time.

I also meant to add that time spent at the rental for work purposes, if it is cheaper to stay there than grab a hotel or return home, is not considered personal time. And the rules are fabulously in the owners favor, such that I suspect all our time at the VR will be "work" time. The book I recommended goes into how to put these work rules to your advantage, how to document your work time, and it's worth picking up the book just for that. Plus, the book cost is tax deductible. It is much cheaper at Amazon than in the bricks and mortar stores.

IP,
obviously a fan of this book
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.