No. of Recommendations: 25
http://www.sba-list.org/suzy-b-blog/woman-dies-following-lat...

This morning Operation Rescue and the Maryland Coalition for Life announced that yesterday a woman died from complications after undergoing a late-term, 33-week abortion at the hands of the infamous abortionist, LeRoy Carhart, in Germantown, Maryland.

The patient suffered massive internal bleeding into her abdominal cavity. She slipped into a Code Blue condition approximately six times before finally succumbing to her injuries at around 9:30 a.m. The case has been placed with the Medical Examiner for further investigation.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Oh wait....nevermind.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Sometimes the life of one woman to support the holy sacrament of abortion in the religion of liberalism is just the price you have to pay.
This morning Operation Rescue and the Maryland Coalition for Life announced that yesterday a woman died from complications after undergoing a late-term, 33-week abortion at the hands of the infamous abortionist, LeRoy Carhart, in Germantown, Maryland.

The question that might follow is: Did she have an underlying condition that was the reason she was undergoing the termination in the first place?

Would staying pregnant definitely have led to her death?

It is remarkably easy to judge things without knowing their circumstances. It's not always the right thing to do, however.

The question that might follow is: Did she have an underlying condition that was the reason she was undergoing the termination in the first place?

It is remarkably easy to judge things without knowing their circumstances. It's not always the right thing to do, however.
---------------------------------------------------------
Indeed. My post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek play on Joe Biden and his never-let-a-crisis-go-to-waste response after the Newtown Massacre.
No. of Recommendations: 1
The question that might follow is: Did she have an underlying condition that was the reason she was undergoing the termination in the first place? Would staying pregnant definitely have led to her death? It is remarkably easy to judge things without knowing their circumstances. It's not always the right thing to do, however.

Yes, looking under every rock to justify the killing of an unborn human being is always the right thing to do.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Zap!
Indeed. My post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek play on Joe Biden and his never-let-a-crisis-go-to-waste response after the Newtown Massacre.

A word to the wide, tongue in cheek when speaking of Obama's VP can be unsanitary.
No. of Recommendations: 3

A word to the wide, tongue in cheek when speaking of Obama's VP can be unsanitary.
----------------------
Is this a legitimate misspelling or is this another one of those "wield house" posts and you're calling me fat <g>.
No. of Recommendations: 13

I think the irony meter just exploded... killing the poor operator. Perhaps a ban on posters from NJ is in order?
No. of Recommendations: 2

If only libs would pretend they cared about that during the Bush adminstration.
Perhaps a ban on posters from NJ is in order?

MadCap would not be pleased
Sometimes the life of one woman to support the holy sacrament of abortion in the religion of liberalism is just the price you have to pay.

And never admit that women die from pregnancy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22270271

The pregnancy-associated mortality rate among women who delivered live neonates was 8.8 deaths per 100,000 live births. The mortality rate related to induced abortion was 0.6 deaths per 100,000 abortions. In the one recent comparative study of pregnancy morbidity in the United States, pregnancy-related complications were more common with childbirth than with abortion.
Perhaps a ban on posters from NJ is in order?

No, that would leave out BG, and we wouldn't want that. How about a ban on all posters with "Garden" in their moniker?
No. of Recommendations: 8
And never admit that women die from pregnancy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22270271

The pregnancy-associated mortality rate among women who delivered live neonates was 8.8 deaths per 100,000 live births. The mortality rate related to induced abortion was 0.6 deaths per 100,000 abortions. In the one recent comparative study of pregnancy morbidity in the United States, pregnancy-related complications were more common with childbirth than with abortion.
------------------------------------------
We should outlaw pregnancy! According to Biden if we can save just one life it's worth it.
Is this a legitimate misspelling or is this another one of those "wield house" posts and you're calling me fat <g>.

WEll speculate away, but don't leave Michelle O out of the equation either.

And, don't worry, I her it's just that many of us are big boned!
MadCap would not be pleased

I'm sure he'd understand... it would save at least one irony meter operator's life after all.
No, that would leave out BG, and we wouldn't want that. How about a ban on all posters with "Garden" in their moniker?

Nope. Sorry, but banning them all can save at least one life so pointing out the majority are harmless is irrelevant.

Aloe @ bar! Anyone using the Garden Bunnies name in whole or in part should be beheaded and served as a stew, with the exception of the parts that can be used to make bacon.

Death to the infidels.
...a late-term, 33-week abortion...

I know that the Constitution means less and less, and I'm sure that SCOTUS rulings are held in even lesser esteem (except when in your favor), but the SCOTUS ruling of Roe v. Wade outlawed such a procedure.

So this person should be tried for murder as well as medical malpractice.

JLC

If that were the case, a c-section would have been called for, not an abortion. From a medical stand point, not too much difference in risk when considering the big picture.

Plus, read Roe v. Wade, late term abortions were effectively banned. The government has an interest (i.e. the life of the baby) at the point of viability was the ruling. Viability by current medical technology is 23 weeks.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 7
The pregnancy-associated mortality rate among women who delivered live neonates was 8.8 deaths per 100,000 live births.

I wonder how dated those stats are. I've been in practice long enough at a high risk obstetric hospital and according to these stats I've should've seen multiple maternal deaths. I've seen zero. My partners have seen zero. So either we're really lucky or something has changed since the study was done.

The mortality rate related to induced abortion was 0.6 deaths per 100,000 abortions. In the one recent comparative study of pregnancy morbidity in the United States, pregnancy-related complications were more common with childbirth than with abortion.

Most abortions are done early on, before 20 weeks. Same as miscarriage. While I couldn't find death rates from miscarriage, I did find plenty of other interesting stats. The main one, even with one abortion, your rate of pregnancy complication goes way up along with the rate premature birth.

One thing I did note which would go toward answer the first part, many studies went back to 1980 to collect enough deaths to have statistical meaning. So yes, the practice of medicine has drastically changed since then, so the comparative maternal death rate is most likely wrong.

And the one stat not mentioned. The death rate for the fetus/baby is 100,000 per 100,000 abortions.

JLC
If that were the case, a c-section would have been called for, not an abortion. From a medical stand point, not too much difference in risk when considering the big picture.

Plus, read Roe v. Wade, late term abortions were effectively banned. The government has an interest (i.e. the life of the baby) at the point of viability was the ruling. Viability by current medical technology is 23 weeks.

JLC

Politics

The continued legal fights over Roe vs Wade has prevented implementation of the limits.
I know that the Constitution means less and less, and I'm sure that SCOTUS rulings are held in even lesser esteem (except when in your favor), but the SCOTUS ruling of Roe v. Wade outlawed such a procedure.

How does the Constitution enter into this discussion?

Even the Catholic Church has successfully argued that fetsu are not legal persons, and no wrongful death lawsuit can be brougth in their name.
...a late-term, 33-week abortion...
----------------

So this person should be tried for murder as well as medical malpractice.
============

I just realized it was 33-week abortion. Yeah, unless the mother was going to die if they did a C-section, that baby was most likely viable.

arrete - 2 grandkids - 32 and 28 weeks. Healthy as horse, and doing fine in school.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I just realized it was 33-week abortion. Yeah, unless the mother was going to die if they did a C-section, that baby was most likely viable.

Most likely? Try definitely. At our NICU, 33 weekers, unless they have some serious defect, get placed in the "feed and weed" section. Just waiting for them to get big enough to go home.

Plus, I seriously doubt there is any significant risk difference between an abortion (especially at this advanced pregnancy) and a c-section.

This story doesn't pass the smell test on so many levels.

JLC
How does the Constitution enter into this discussion?

IIRC, SCOTUS derived the "right to an abortion" via the Constitutional right to privacy.

JLC
Most likely? Try definitely. At our NICU, 33 weekers, unless they have some serious defect, get placed in the "feed and weed" section. Just waiting for them to get big enough to go home.

Plus, I seriously doubt there is any significant risk difference between an abortion (especially at this advanced pregnancy) and a c-section.

This story doesn't pass the smell test on so many levels.

JLC

I agree that it doesn't pass the smell test. We don't have all of the information. Given the late term, it is possible that the fetus wasn't normal. Without additional information, it is impossible to know why the decisions were made.

I don't understand the "feed and weed" reference. Is this refering to premies that are expected to survive with only basic care?
I don't understand the "feed and weed" reference. Is this refering to premies that are expected to survive with only basic care?

Correct. Feed them to get them big enough, usually around 5 pounds, and weed them out to send either home or normal nursery. Typically don't require too much care other than frequent feedings, daily weights, and maybe some meds to help with digestion/reflux. About as minimal care as you can get in the NICU.

JLC
I wonder how dated those stats are. I've been in practice long enough at a high risk obstetric hospital and according to these stats I've should've seen multiple maternal deaths. I've seen zero. My partners have seen zero. So either we're really lucky or something has changed since the study was done.

Medical care has changed. Even so, I am surprised that you haven't seen any deaths. A relative had a very close call with eclampsia. Both survived. The child has medical and developmental problems. A more serious result is a friend's daughter who kidney's both failed. I don't know the details. Her mother is being evaluated as a possible kidney donor.
Medical care has changed. Even so, I am surprised that you haven't seen any deaths.

Sometimes I wonder that myself too.

But just to show you how drastic things have changed in as little as ten years...

...one frequent surgery we did was placing shunts in premature babies that were developing hydrocephalus. Seemed like we were doing at least one a week. I don't think I've done one in about a year, maybe longer. I talked to our Peds Intensivist awhile back, he said it boils down to better drugs and other interventions.

Could almost say the same thing for PDA ligation. Ditto drugs.

I'm sure the maternal mortality has changed from several factors: more monitoring, better tests, safer anesthesia, and better NICU intervention which all lead to doing sections before anyone has a chance to get into big trouble.

JLC