Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

If we first consider the pricing, let's assume for now that the CLIENT will be put out at the usual price that major releases of MacOS are, i.e. around $70(?). At the same time, the SERVER goes for around $400, although the overall development costs must surely be about the same, so in fact all the excess price is pure profit! An extra $330 bucks in the bank. Anybody disagree with the argument?

I am pretty sure that you can make no speculation about future pricing of Mac OS X Server or Mac OS X based on current pricing of server or 8.5.

OK, so the server comes with Apache (free product?) and then we have to discount WebObjects, I guess, which I'm sure will NOT come as part of the CLIENT package and presumably has a fairly high amortised devt cost, so the extra profit is something less - let's say $250.

It is a good bet that webobjects will not be bundled with the client version. It is after all a server technology. It is probably worth noting that a dev seat of webobject runs about $1700. If you actually want to deploy your app to the entire world you need something more like $25-$50K. My point being that, at present, webobjects developer is really being given away on Mac OS X Server. It is a good bet that this wont be a long term strategy. On the other hand, who knows?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.