No. of Recommendations: 0
If yearly fees for rollover IRAs are too high, find a different custodian. There shouldn't be any, particularly if you can add to it.
With this amount, you could roll it into a traditional IRA and then sully the rollover money by contributing your $2000 a year. You can also roll into a Roth after having it in a traditional IRA.
If you add even $1 of contributory money to a rollover, you lose the right to someday roll in into a new employer's 401k, 403b or other qualified plan. But since in an IRA you manage yourself, you have more choices, that isn't a big disadvantage.
If you have decent choices, to leave it where it is is a possibility.
If you roll it into an IRA and then start adding to it, the amount of the rollover does NOT count toward your $2000 annual allowed IRA contribution.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.