Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you are an employee where there is withholding, you don't have to make an estimated payments. You can accomplish it through withholding.

She is an employee. Not sure whether he's an employee or self-employed, but so far he's been making estimated payments, so I'm assuming he doesn't have the option of withholding.

Even in that case, it's possible that after marriage she could have enough withheld from her salary to cover taxes on their total salaries, but I'm not sure she'd want to.

Before DH & I retired, he paid quarterly, and I was salaried and had taxes withheld. I did increase both the estimated payments and the withholding to account for the marriage penalty (and other things). It never occurred to me to increase my withholding to cover all the taxes. In retrospect, that would've sent my employer the message "Look how high-income my DH is!" and there was certainly no reason to do that.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.