Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you are going to trade stocks, it might be better to have the stocks in the IRA so that the capital gains tax is postponed until the money is taken out. If the stocks are not in the IRA, you will owe tax any time you sell a stock at a gain. Depending on your tax bracket it could be better to have the bonds outside of the IRA if you invest in tax free (municipal) bonds.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.