Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If you can find a flat screen that's the same width as the cabinet, just plunk it down right in front of the cabinet. The one I found had a protrusion at the rear of the screen to accomodate the built-in DVD player but it fit inside the cavity shell of the cabinet just fine. After that it was just about figuring out how to anchor the whole thing in place.

The dimensions of a flat screen are different than the old CRT. The picture is actually a bit wider because there's no wood cabinet "mask" to hold it in place and the edge mask is smaller for the flat screen than it was for the CRT. But the new one is also shorter, so I had to build a hinged flap at the bottom which allows quick access to the space, which is where I store stuff like an iPod, earphones, etc. The paper towel and toilet paper stash resides all the way at the back of the cabinet. I was able to stain the flap to match the rest of the cabinetry so it looks like it belongs. Only trouble is when in the "open" position it juts out a couple inches into the entryway, so you have to leave it closed at all times. (The original design had the TV centered between the driver and passenger chairs and already jutted out some. I eventually put a "kid corner pad" on the lower corner because people kept smacking their heads into it! Poor design from Newmar but then TV sets were much larger 20 years ago.)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.