Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you can, you can go on COBRA for insurance for 18 months. Then you'll need a private policy to tide you over to age 65 when Medicare kicks in.

So time your retirement accordingly.

Likely, you'll have to get high deductible health care cover you for 18 months. or whatever you decide.

If you start taking SS at 62, you'll drop your monthly income by about 40% compared to taking it at your 'normal' age of likely 66 plus these days.

you still get Medicare at 65 regardless of when you take your SS.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.